Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Period 5 Sleep

Hope you enjoyed your spring break.  We will finish out the semester using our blog to focus on lifestyle factors that influence our health. These lifestyle factors may seem minor but can have a huge impact on our well being. These posts will be a bit longer and will require you to do some reading.
Our first topic is sleep. Please read the following information on teens and sleep from The National Sleep Foundation.

Teens and Sleep

Sleep Topics

Sleep is food for the brain. During sleep, important body functions and brain activity occur. Skipping sleep can be harmful — even deadly, particularly if you are behind the wheel. You can look bad, you may feel moody, and you perform poorly. Sleepiness can make it hard to get along with your family and friends and hurt your scores on school exams, on the court or on the field. Remember: A brain that is hungry for sleep will get it, even when you don’t expect it. For example, drowsiness and falling asleep at the wheel cause more than 100,000 car crashes every year. When you do not get enough sleep, you are more likely to have an accident, injury and/or illness.
FACTS:

•Sleep is vital to your well-being, as important as the air you breathe, the water you drink and the food you eat. It can even help you to eat better and manage the stress of being a teen.
•Biological sleep patterns shift toward later times for both sleeping and waking during adolescence -- meaning it is natural to not be able to fall asleep before 11:00 pm.
•Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights.
•Teens tend to have irregular sleep patterns across the week — they typically stay up late and sleep in late on the weekends, which can affect their biological clocks and hurt the quality of their sleep.
•Many teens suffer from treatable sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy, insomnia, restless legs syndrome or sleep apnea.
CONSEQUENCES:
Not getting enough sleep or having sleep difficulties can:
•Limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. You may even forget important information like names, numbers, your homework or a date with a special person in your life;
•Make you more prone to pimples. Lack of sleep can contribute to acne and other skin problems;
•Lead to aggressive or inappropriate behavior such as yelling at your friends or being impatient with your teachers or family members;

•Cause you to eat too much or eat unhealthy foods like sweets and fried foods that lead to weight gain;

•Heighten the effects of alcohol and possibly increase use of caffeine and nicotine; and

•Contribute to illness, not using equipment safely or driving drowsy.

SOLUTIONS:

•Make sleep a priority. Review Teen Time in this toolkit and keep the Teen Sleep Diary. Decide what you need to change to get enough sleep to stay healthy, happy, and smart!

•Naps can help pick you up and make you work more efficiently, if you plan them right. Naps that are too long or too close to bedtime can interfere with your regular sleep.

•Make your room a sleep haven. Keep it cool, quiet and dark. If you need to, get eyeshades or blackout curtains. Let in bright light in the morning to signal your body to wake up.

•No pills, vitamins or drinks can replace good sleep. Consuming caffeine close to bedtime can hurt your sleep, so avoid coffee, tea, soda/pop and chocolate late in the day so you can get to sleep at night. Nicotine and alcohol will also interfere with your sleep.

•When you are sleep deprived, you are as impaired as driving with a blood alcohol content of .08%, which is illegal for drivers in many states. Drowsy driving causes over 100,000 crashes each year. Recognize sleep deprivation and call someone else for a ride. Only sleep can save you!

•Establish a bed and wake-time and stick to it, coming as close as you can on the weekends. A consistent sleep schedule will help you feel less tired since it allows your body to get in sync with its natural patterns. You will find that it’s easier to fall asleep at bedtime with this type of routine.

•Don’t eat, drink, or exercise within a few hours of your bedtime. Don’t leave your homework for the last minute. Try to avoid the TV, computer and telephone in the hour before you go to bed. Stick to quiet, calm activities, and you’ll fall asleep much more easily!

•If you do the same things every night before you go to sleep, you teach your body the signals that it’s time for bed. Try taking a bath or shower (this will leave you extra time in the morning), or reading a book.

•Try keeping a diary or to-do lists. If you jot notes down before you go to sleep, you’ll be less likely to stay awake worrying or stressing.

•When you hear your friends talking about their all-nighters, tell them how good you feel after getting enough sleep.

•Most teens experience changes in their sleep schedules. Their internal body clocks can cause them to fall asleep and wake up later. You can’t change this, but you can participate in interactive activities and classes to help counteract your sleepiness. Make sure your activities at night are calming to counteract your already heightened alertness.

For this weeks blog, answer the following questions:


How much sleep on average do you get each night and how does that compare to the recommended amounts in the information above?

What are some of the consequences of not getting enough sleep?

Which strategies listed above would help you to get more sleep

24 comments:

  1. 7 Hours- i need about 2.5 more hours of sleep

    It limits my ability to learn and think properly

    I could go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day and night

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 hours of sleep on average depending on homework. Some of the consequences of not getting enough sleep is aggressive behavior, impairs memorization, and makes you more prone to acne. Sleeping at consistent times would help me,doing calm activities before sleeping would too, interactive activities also help.

    Samuel Figuera

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get about 7.5 hours of sleep per night. This is 1.75 less hours than necessary in comparison with the recommended amount of sleep.

    Consequences of not getting enough sleep could lead to more pimples, failure to pay attention in school, make you crave more food resulting in weight gain, and cause you to act cranky to other people.

    Sticking to the same sleep schedule would help me get more sleep. I sleep in alot on the weekends, so this messes up my biological clock.

    Victor Shen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get about 6 1/4 hours that is less than recommended. some consequences are being tired in school, lack of motivation, and tiredness. i should do my homework earlier in the day.
    -Ezra Sokobin

    ReplyDelete
  5. On average, I sleep about 6 hours daily throughout the week. This is 3.5 hours less than the recommended time. With such lack of sleep, I often experience deteroriation in focus, headaches, and usually get sick easier.

    Daniel Park

    ReplyDelete
  6. i get about an average of 8 hours of sleep per night which means i am missing around an hour and 15 minutes of sleep that i need
    lack of sleep can sleep to facial breakouts/poor concentration/weight gain/ and drowziness while driving
    in order to get more sleep i can set routine bed and wake times and not eat/drink/excercise before bed
    -matt kehr

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually get 6-7hours of sleep.
    To improve this situation i shouldn't eat late at night and finish my work earlier.

    George Giannos

    ReplyDelete
  8. i get around 10 hours of sleep on a weekend and around 7 or 8 hours on a weekday. To improve this i should not eat as much at night. When i dont get enough sleep I usually can't focus as well in school
    -David Siegel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep on weekdays and anywhere from 8 to 11 on weekends. I should not watch as much TV before I go to sleep. Not sleeping enough can cause a lack of patience and weight gain.
    - Josh Hollman

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get around 6 and a half to 7 and a half hours of sleep a night, which is about and hour or two less than the recommended amount of time sleeping for teens. Some of the consequences that i have are not being able to stay awake in lecture-based classes and not being able to focus on my work. A way to help this is not going on the computer before i go to bed and not napping near my bedtime.
    -Eric Shumacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. On average I get around 6 hours of sleep a night throughout the week. I need to get more sleep during the week because I am a zombie at school. If i get more sleep I'll be able to focus better in school.

    Kyle Weissenburger

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get about 7-8 hours of sleep on weekdays and around 9-10 hours of sleep on the weekends. To imporove my sleep habits I should stop talking to my friends and finish my homework earlier. Not getting enough sleep can cause you to get stressed more easily and get short tempered.
    -Justin Kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sleep about 7.5 hrs on weekdays, 1 hr and 45min less than recommended, but I sleep longer on weekends. Loss of sleep can contribute to being drowsy, irritable, and it can reduce concentration and learning ability. I should eat earlier and finish my homework earlier so I am not up late.

    -Raghav Muralidharan

    ReplyDelete
  14. i get around 8 hours of sleep on weekdays and around 9 to 11 hours on weekends. to make it better i should start my homework earlier so that i don't finish later. When I don't get enough sleep i have a hard time focusing during school and other activities

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get around 8 hours of sleep each night but I could always have more sleep. By not getting enough sleep it can affect how I function in school and sports. To improve my sleep habits I could not stay up so late on weekends because it messes up my whole sleeping routine.
    -Jake Dunlop

    ReplyDelete
  16. On weekends, I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep, and on weekdays I get 6-8 hours and I know that it's not healthy enough so I'm going to try my best to extend my sleeping hours.
    -John Arango

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get around 7-8 hours of sleep. Even though i try to get as much sleep as possible i still need a couple more hours of sleep. Not getting enough sleep causes lack of patience, not paying attention, more pimples, weight gain, and more chance of illness. One of the solutions that would help me would be to make a list of to-do's before i go to bed so i have to worry less
    -Aurash Amirmokri

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get about 7-8 hours of sleep at night during weekdays 5-8 on weekends and sometimes 1-3 hours during the day. Not getting enough sleep causes a lack of focus, patience, short attention span, weight gain, and a higher chance of illness. To improve sleep habits I could sleep more during the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i get around 7 to 8hours on weekdays and around 9 to 10 on weekends. This is just a bit less than the recommended time and a way to improve this would be to make a list of things to do so I don't worry about them while i'm trying to sleep. Not getting enough sleep makes me drowsy and not focus on anything.
    -Sebastian Gross

    ReplyDelete
  20. I get about 6 hours of sleep during weekedays. This is alot less than the recommended hours of sleep. Not getting enough sleep causes me to fall asleep in class, or to be more stressed out. Establishing a sleep and wake schedule can help me get more sleep.
    David Yu

    ReplyDelete
  21. I get around 8 hours of sleep a night, so I should get another half hour to an hour of sleep.
    When I don't get enough sleep I have trouble thinking in the following morning, and sometimes fall asleep during class.
    I could get more sleep by slacking off less and doing my homework faster, and by watching less tv at night.

    -Simon Dai

    ReplyDelete
  22. I get 7 hours of sleep, depending on whether or not its solid. I need 2 more hours of sleep. When I dont get enough sleep I am cranky, not focused, and sometimes say unnecessary language. I could get more sleep by napping, sleeping earlier, and sleeping in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i get around 6-8 hour of sleep a night, which is less than recommended hours of sleep. not getting enough rest causes me to feel sleepy throughout the day and less focused. to prevent this i need to eat and finish work earlier.

    Alan Banks

    ReplyDelete
  24. i get 7-8 hours if sleep on normal. This is less then the recommended amount. This could cause not being able to pay attention throughout the day. To prevent this i should go to bed earlier and wake up later.

    -Sean Avjian

    ReplyDelete