Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Period 8 Sleep

Hope you enjoyed your break.  We will finish out the semester using our blog to focus on lifestyle factors that influence our health. These lifestyle factors may seem minor but can have a huge impact on our well being. These posts will be a bit longer and will require you to do some reading.


Our first topic is sleep. Please read the following information on teens and sleep from The National Sleep Foundation.

Sleep is food for the brain. During sleep, important body functions and brain activity occur. Skipping sleep can be harmful — even deadly, particularly if you are behind the wheel. You can look bad, you may feel moody, and you perform poorly. Sleepiness can make it hard to get along with your family and friends and hurt your scores on school exams, on the court or on the field. Remember: A brain that is hungry for sleep will get it, even when you don’t expect it. For example, drowsiness and falling asleep at the wheel cause more than 100,000 car crashes every year. When you do not get enough sleep, you are more likely to have an accident, injury and/or illness.

FACTS:

•Sleep is vital to your well-being, as important as the air you breathe, the water you drink and the food you eat. It can even help you to eat better and manage the stress of being a teen.

•Biological sleep patterns shift toward later times for both sleeping and waking during adolescence -- meaning it is natural to not be able to fall asleep before 11:00 pm.

•Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights.

•Teens tend to have irregular sleep patterns across the week — they typically stay up late and sleep in late on the weekends, which can affect their biological clocks and hurt the quality of their sleep.

•Many teens suffer from treatable sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy, insomnia, restless legs syndrome or sleep apnea.

CONSEQUENCES:

Not getting enough sleep or having sleep difficulties can:

•Limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. You may even forget important information like names, numbers, your homework or a date with a special person in your life;

•Make you more prone to pimples. Lack of sleep can contribute to acne and other skin problems;

•Lead to aggressive or inappropriate behavior such as yelling at your friends or being impatient with your teachers or family members;

•Cause you to eat too much or eat unhealthy foods like sweets and fried foods that lead to weight gain;

•Heighten the effects of alcohol and possibly increase use of caffeine and nicotine; and

•Contribute to illness, not using equipment safely or driving drowsy.

SOLUTIONS:
•Make sleep a priority. Review Teen Time in this toolkit and keep the Teen Sleep Diary. Decide what you need to change to get enough sleep to stay healthy, happy, and smart!

•Naps can help pick you up and make you work more efficiently, if you plan them right. Naps that are too long or too close to bedtime can interfere with your regular sleep.

•Make your room a sleep haven. Keep it cool, quiet and dark. If you need to, get eyeshades or blackout curtains. Let in bright light in the morning to signal your body to wake up.

•No pills, vitamins or drinks can replace good sleep. Consuming caffeine close to bedtime can hurt your sleep, so avoid coffee, tea, soda/pop and chocolate late in the day so you can get to sleep at night. Nicotine and alcohol will also interfere with your sleep.

•When you are sleep deprived, you are as impaired as driving with a blood alcohol content of .08%, which is illegal for drivers in many states. Drowsy driving causes over 100,000 crashes each year. Recognize sleep deprivation and call someone else for a ride. Only sleep can save you!

•Establish a bed and wake-time and stick to it, coming as close as you can on the weekends. A consistent sleep schedule will help you feel less tired since it allows your body to get in sync with its natural patterns. You will find that it’s easier to fall asleep at bedtime with this type of routine.

•Don’t eat, drink, or exercise within a few hours of your bedtime. Don’t leave your homework for the last minute. Try to avoid the TV, computer and telephone in the hour before you go to bed. Stick to quiet, calm activities, and you’ll fall asleep much more easily!

•If you do the same things every night before you go to sleep, you teach your body the signals that it’s time for bed. Try taking a bath or shower (this will leave you extra time in the morning), or reading a book.

•Try keeping a diary or to-do lists. If you jot notes down before you go to sleep, you’ll be less likely to stay awake worrying or stressing.

•When you hear your friends talking about their all-nighters, tell them how good you feel after getting enough sleep.

•Most teens experience changes in their sleep schedules. Their internal body clocks can cause them to fall asleep and wake up later. You can’t change this, but you can participate in interactive activities and classes to help counteract your sleepiness. Make sure your activities at night are calming to counteract your already heightened alertness.

For this weeks blog, answer the following questions:

How much sleep on average do you get each night and how does that compare to the recommended amounts in the information above?

What are some of the consequences of not getting enough sleep?

Which strategies listed above would help you to get more sleep

24 comments:

  1. Each night I get 7 1/2 hours of sleep (10 - 5:30).

    As I write this post I am feeling very tired.

    I will try to eat dinner earlier so I will fall asleep faster

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usualy get about 8 hours of sleep. That is a little less then the recommended amount. Sleep can lead to issues with concentration, acne, and other things. To help my sleep habits, i should cut down on eating near my bedtime.

    -Matt Bussard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get about 7 hours. Consequences to not getting enough sleep are tiredness,less brain function or even death. Im going to try to go to bed earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. on average i would say that i can somewhere between 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night consequences to not getting enough sleep can be being tired obviously and not performing to your full capacity and not achieving full potential in school or sports to get more sleep you can cut out things that are unnessicary at night like weatching tv or going on the computer
    chris kohn

    ReplyDelete
  5. i get on average about 6-8 hours a night . Consequences of not getting enough sleep could be drowsniness during the day and not doing well in school. To help you fall asleep you could take melatonin
    Nick Wise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get about 6 hours of sleep every night, which is less than the recommended amount. Not getting enough sleep can lead to poor performances in school and on athletic fields. In order to get more sleep, i would take melatonin and stay relaxed before bed.

    Alder

    ReplyDelete
  7. On average i get about 6-8 hours of sleep per night some consequences of not getting enough sleep is bad performance in schoool. to get more sleep i would not workout a few hours before sleep.

    Sina Dayanzadeh

    ReplyDelete
  8. On average i get about 7-8 hours of sleep each night. That is a little less than the recomended amount for teens. The consequences of not getting enough sleep are not being able to conentrate in school and having trouble paying attention when driving. To help get more sleep i could make my room dark at night to help me fall asleep and light in the morning to help wake up. Also to not get distracted watching tv

    Hannah King

    ReplyDelete
  9. i get about 7 hours of sleep but i'm actually supposed to get about 8.5.

    lack of sleep can cause illness, pimples, forgetfulness, and arguments with friends and/or family.

    the strategies that would help me fall asleep are, to not eat/drink anything before bed, and to do the same thing every night to teach my body when its time for bed.

    chris jones

    chris jones period 8

    ReplyDelete
  10. On average I get about 7.5 hours of sleep, an hour less than the recommended amount. When you dont get enough sleep, you may perform poorly in school, become more aggressive and irritable and eat unhealthy foods. The strategies I would use to get more sleep are not watching tv before i go to bed, and trying to not sleep in so late on the weekends.

    Michael Castelli

    ReplyDelete
  11. i get 6-8 hours of sleep. i need more sleep because it tells me to get at least 8 and a half.

    i can become impatient, and not be able to focus in class.

    be careful of what i eat or drink right before bed. make a scheduled time to go to bed and stick to it. make your room a sleep haven.

    mady romm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get on average roughly 4 hours of sleep a night if that which is half the recommended daily requirement for sleep. Since I was little I've been able to function on little sleep but consequences are increased aggression and feeling drowsy. Things I could do to fix it are establish a more reasonable bed time and stick to it as well as avoiding working out so shortly before bedtime. Usually I work out eat and then watch movies until I fall asleep.
    -Micah

    ReplyDelete
  13. John Stoeber

    Sunday nights I only get 4-5 hours, weeknights 6 hours, friday and saturday nights 10-11 hours

    Moodiness, lowers performances in school and athletics, bad driving

    Taking naps

    ReplyDelete
  14. i get about 8 hours of a sleep on a school night. I should be getting a little bit more than I do. The consequences of not getting enough sleep include not being able to focus, and also looking tired. The main thing that happens to me it is hard to keep my eyes open and to pay attention. To get more sleep i should not eat or drink within 2 hours of when i go to bed and i also should turn off my phone at 9:30 so i do not have distractions.

    Kevin Mooney

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get an average of 6-8 hours of sleep. I plan on getting 8 hours but it doesn't always work out. The consequence if I dont get enough sleep is lack of focus, acne and my an increase in apatite the next day. I can get more sleep by doing my homework earlier, and stop watching movies before i go to bed.

    -Andrew Devine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I get about six hours of sleep on average. I should be getting a few more hours. The consequences of not getting enough sleep include lack of focus, feeling like crap, and looking tired. To get more sleep, I should try going to bed earlier, mostly, and reducing late-night distractions.

    -Voss

    ReplyDelete
  17. i get like 3-6 hours of sleep on average it depends on the day. when i dont get a lot of sleep i could loose focus and be drousy... i could plan out some naps to get more sleep

    -Alex Marks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get about 6 hours of sleep a night. That is short by a few hours. The consequences of not getting enough sleep could include not being able to focus, feeling groggy and tired throughout the day, and looking tired. To get more sleep, I should eat dinner farther away from my bedtime as well as try to go to bed earliar,

    -Alec Jasen

    ReplyDelete
  19. On average, I get about 5 hours of sleep. The information says that I actually need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep, so I should probably sleep more. No getting enough sleep can limit my ability to learn, listen, concentrate. Also it can make me more prone to getting pimples.To help me out with sleep, I can take more naps, stop consuming caffine close to my rest.
    Devyn Walton

    ReplyDelete
  20. I usually get 7.5 hours of sleep per night which is almost 2 huors less than the 9.25 hours suggested.

    Some consequences include a lack of focus, an aggravated attitude, and a less healthy diet.

    I am going to try to eat and drink less right before sleep

    Seth Margolis

    ReplyDelete
  21. I get about 6 hours of sleep each night, I should be getting around 8. Consequences of not getting enough sleep are drowziness, irritability and just being slow mentally and physically throughout the day. To get more sleep I could eat and drink a little before sleeping.
    -Peter Aybar

    ReplyDelete
  22. On average I will go to bed at 9 and fall asleep anywhere between 10-11 on most nights. My alarm will wake me up at 6, so typically I'm getting 7-8 hours per night if I sleep the whole time. Most nights I will wake up at least 2-3 times per night typically ranging from the hours of 12-5. Sometimes not being able to fall back to sleep after laying awake for 1-2 hours.

    Consequences of not getting enough sleep are that I am tired through the day, lack of eneregy, and tend to fall asleep in class.

    I try to keep a healthier sleeping diet and not eating so late at night so my body can function properly and I can get more sleep.

    ~Weaver~

    ReplyDelete
  23. I usually get about 7 hours of sleep but I wake up alot in the night, but I make up for it by taking a nap after school.

    some consequences that I have noticed due to not getting enough sleep are lack of focus, tiredness, stomach problems sometimes, and being irritable.

    Im going to try and read for 20 minutes before I go to bed because this might help me sleep better

    ReplyDelete
  24. I get about 5 hours of sleep a night. I should be getting about 8 to 9.

    Consequences I have experienced from lack of sleep are fatigue, lack of focus, and being very irritable.

    I will try to eat earlier dinners and read before bed to get more effective sleep.

    - Sadiq Olanrewaju

    ReplyDelete