Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Period 7 Sleep

Hope you enjoyed your break.  We will finish out the semester using our blog to focus on lifestyle factors that influence our health. These lifestyle factors may seem minor but can have a huge impact on our well being. These posts will be a bit longer and will require you to do some reading.


Our first topic is sleep. Please read the following information on teens and sleep from The National Sleep Foundation.

Sleep is food for the brain. During sleep, important body functions and brain activity occur. Skipping sleep can be harmful — even deadly, particularly if you are behind the wheel. You can look bad, you may feel moody, and you perform poorly. Sleepiness can make it hard to get along with your family and friends and hurt your scores on school exams, on the court or on the field. Remember: A brain that is hungry for sleep will get it, even when you don’t expect it. For example, drowsiness and falling asleep at the wheel cause more than 100,000 car crashes every year. When you do not get enough sleep, you are more likely to have an accident, injury and/or illness.

FACTS:

•Sleep is vital to your well-being, as important as the air you breathe, the water you drink and the food you eat. It can even help you to eat better and manage the stress of being a teen.

•Biological sleep patterns shift toward later times for both sleeping and waking during adolescence -- meaning it is natural to not be able to fall asleep before 11:00 pm.

•Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens do not get enough sleep — one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights.

•Teens tend to have irregular sleep patterns across the week — they typically stay up late and sleep in late on the weekends, which can affect their biological clocks and hurt the quality of their sleep.

•Many teens suffer from treatable sleep disorders, such as narcolepsy, insomnia, restless legs syndrome or sleep apnea.

CONSEQUENCES:

Not getting enough sleep or having sleep difficulties can:

•Limit your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. You may even forget important information like names, numbers, your homework or a date with a special person in your life;

•Make you more prone to pimples. Lack of sleep can contribute to acne and other skin problems;

•Lead to aggressive or inappropriate behavior such as yelling at your friends or being impatient with your teachers or family members;

•Cause you to eat too much or eat unhealthy foods like sweets and fried foods that lead to weight gain;

•Heighten the effects of alcohol and possibly increase use of caffeine and nicotine; and

•Contribute to illness, not using equipment safely or driving drowsy.

SOLUTIONS:
•Make sleep a priority. Review Teen Time in this toolkit and keep the Teen Sleep Diary. Decide what you need to change to get enough sleep to stay healthy, happy, and smart!

•Naps can help pick you up and make you work more efficiently, if you plan them right. Naps that are too long or too close to bedtime can interfere with your regular sleep.

•Make your room a sleep haven. Keep it cool, quiet and dark. If you need to, get eyeshades or blackout curtains. Let in bright light in the morning to signal your body to wake up.

•No pills, vitamins or drinks can replace good sleep. Consuming caffeine close to bedtime can hurt your sleep, so avoid coffee, tea, soda/pop and chocolate late in the day so you can get to sleep at night. Nicotine and alcohol will also interfere with your sleep.

•When you are sleep deprived, you are as impaired as driving with a blood alcohol content of .08%, which is illegal for drivers in many states. Drowsy driving causes over 100,000 crashes each year. Recognize sleep deprivation and call someone else for a ride. Only sleep can save you!

•Establish a bed and wake-time and stick to it, coming as close as you can on the weekends. A consistent sleep schedule will help you feel less tired since it allows your body to get in sync with its natural patterns. You will find that it’s easier to fall asleep at bedtime with this type of routine.

•Don’t eat, drink, or exercise within a few hours of your bedtime. Don’t leave your homework for the last minute. Try to avoid the TV, computer and telephone in the hour before you go to bed. Stick to quiet, calm activities, and you’ll fall asleep much more easily!

•If you do the same things every night before you go to sleep, you teach your body the signals that it’s time for bed. Try taking a bath or shower (this will leave you extra time in the morning), or reading a book.

•Try keeping a diary or to-do lists. If you jot notes down before you go to sleep, you’ll be less likely to stay awake worrying or stressing.

•When you hear your friends talking about their all-nighters, tell them how good you feel after getting enough sleep.

•Most teens experience changes in their sleep schedules. Their internal body clocks can cause them to fall asleep and wake up later. You can’t change this, but you can participate in interactive activities and classes to help counteract your sleepiness. Make sure your activities at night are calming to counteract your already heightened alertness.

For this weeks blog, answer the following questions:

How much sleep on average do you get each night and how does that compare to the recommended amounts in the information above?

What are some of the consequences of not getting enough sleep?

Which strategies listed above would help you to get more sleep

33 comments:

  1. On average i get about 9.5 hours of sleep. This amount is slightly above the recommended amount that teens should be getting. If someone does not get enough sleep, they can be cranky and become impatient with friends and family. Also, sleep deprivation can limit one's ability to learn, concentrate, and solve problems. It would help me sleep more if i make my room darker and stop eating food before bedtime.

    -Mark Wong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not getting enough sleep causes pimples, eating unhealthy, and heighten the effects of alcohol. Not going on my computer or watching tv would allow me to falla sleep easier on weeknights. Also, not working out or eating within a few hours of my bedtime would let me fall asleep easier and getting more sleep too.

    -Jake Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get about 8 hours of sleep on weekdays. If i dont get enough sleep i am less energetic and irritable. Refraining from tv or computer before bed is probably helpful, but unrealistic for most people.

    Dylan Jaffe

    ReplyDelete
  4. i get about 7-8 hours of sleep most nights, but sometimes i get around 6 if i stay up late. this is less than the recommended 8 1/2 to 9 1/4 hours

    Consequences of not getting enough sleep include limited ability to learn and concentrate, agressive or inappropriate behavior, more prone to pimples, more prone to illness, and eating unhealthy foods.

    to get more sleep, some strategies i could use are limiting caffeine consumption, taking naps, making my room cool, dark and quiet, keeping a consistent bed time and wake time, and not being physically active before bedtime.

    -Sam Rosenblatt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get around 7 hours of sleep each night, consequences are falling asleep in class and to solve this I can not drink caffeine close to going to bed.

    -Brian Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to sleep around 5 to 6 hours on week nights, though i try to go to bed early but i have trouble falling asleep. It is terribly low compared to the recommended amounds.
    Some consequences include lack of energy, being more prone to illness, it may limit my ability to solve,learn and reason, and cause mood swings and bad personality. I think the main reason why i cant fall asleep is because during times like spring break or on weekends, i'd usually sleep at around 3 AM so my body clock is just messed up and i guess i just need to follow a set schedule for sleep on both weekends and weekdays to prevent my insomnia.
    -Eric Fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I get 8 1/4 hours of sleep which is only l less then suggested.
    2. Narcolepsy, insomnia, restless legs syndrome or sleep apnea.
    3.Don't eat of drink before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victor reyes
    I get 7 1/2 hours of sleep which is 1 hour less than recommended

    Some consequences include agressive behaivor and causes you to eat unheathy foods.

    Some solutions whould be to keep the room cool and dark and cut down on caffine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jason Shim

    I usually sleep for 6 to 7 hours. This time is a little bit similar to information above.

    If I didn't sleep enough to do something, I can be kept being tired and being lazy.

    Working at afternoon not night will be help to sleep early

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steven Berger

    How much sleep on average do you get each night and how does that compare to the recommended amounts in the information above?

    On average I get about 8 hours of sleep each night. According to this information I should try and get in another 1/2 hour of sleep each night

    What are some of the consequences of not getting enough sleep?

    Some consequences are: limiting the ability to learn, listen, concentrate, solve problems, heightening the effects of alcohol and make you more prone to illness.

    Which strategies listed above would help you to get more sleep?

    I should probably stop eating right before bed, and it would also help if I wasn't on the computer until 10.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~Brandon Fink~

    On average, I get around 5-6 hours of sleep each night. This is not acceptable after looking at the recommended amounts in the information above.

    Consequences of not getting enough sleep include loss of concentration, unhealthy weight gain, aggressive behavior, and potential death behind the wheel.

    The strategies that would probably help me to get more sleep would be not doing anything like watching TV late at night and making my room a sleep-friendly environment.

    ~Brandon Fink~

    ReplyDelete
  12. On average, I get about 7.5 hours of sleep so I need 1 and 3/4 more hours of sleep to make the 9 and 1/4 hours

    Some consequences of not getting enough sleep are tiredness, low scores on tests and car crashes

    To help me get more sleep I can stop eating and watching tv right before bedtime

    Philip kwong

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get an average of 7 hours of sleep, which is an hour or two less than a healthy amount.
    Not enough sleep can cause you to do worse in school and get more pimples.
    Make sleep a priority, and don't eat/drink within a few hours of your bedtime.
    ~Daniel Yarmovsky

    ReplyDelete
  14. I get about 7 hours of sleep on weekdays and about 11 on weekends, so i should get atleast another 2 hours on weekdays.

    My ability to listen and learn will drop, i am prone to pimples, and i can become aggresive

    Make my room a comfortable environment to sleep and take naps. Dont drink caffeine before bed

    ReplyDelete
  15. -On average I get around 6 hours of sleep eventhough it is recommended that I should get 8 1/2 hours of sleep
    - Not getting enough sleep limits my ability to learn, memory problems, aggressive behavior, prone to acne, and illness
    -Some strategies that would help me get more sleep are establish a bed and wake-time and sticking to it, make sleep a priority, and take naps

    -Sabrina B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i get 6-8 hrs of sleep

    more prone to acne, leads to illness, cause of inappropriate behavior

    make my room a sleep heaven! (sounds like fun)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get about 7 to 8 hours of sleep on average each night and that is a little less than the average person. Some of the consequences of not getting enough sleep is limiting your ability to learn, listen, concentrate and solve problems. Some of the strategies listed above that would help me get more sleep are keeping a diary, taking naps, and making sleep a priority.

    -Will Salter

    ReplyDelete
  18. I get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. This is about the same as the average person. Some consueqenses of not getting enough sleep are agression and inapporopriate behavior and your ability to lisen, learn, and solve problems is limited. I can get more sleep by not eating, drinking, or excerising within a few hours of bedtime, keeping a diary or to-do lists, and taking naps. You should not take naps too close to bedtime, as well.
    -Danielle Koval

    ReplyDelete
  19. On average, I get about 7 hours of sleep so I need 2 and 1/4 more hours of sleep to make the 9 and 1/4 hours

    Illness and soreness

    i take naps and make my bed as comforatable as i can
    -JACOB MOSHEL-

    ReplyDelete
  20. I get about 6 hours of sleep, which isnt healthy. it starts to affect school work, and causes stress and anger, behavior changes and makes you become unhealthy. taking a pill when i mostly need it, and trying to get myself to bed earlier, drinking a warm glass of milk. HIT THE HAY :)

    - Nathalie Cortez

    ReplyDelete
  21. I get about 8 hours of sleep. This is slightly less than recommended. Some consequences are not being able to learn and concentrate as much in school. Some things that would help me would be taking naps and finishing my homework earlier.

    -Ashwin Suryavanshi

    ReplyDelete
  22. i get about 8 hours of sleep this is 1 1/4 less than recommended. not getting enough sleep sometimes makes me grumpy and i will not listen to what people tell me to do. to fix this i will do my homework at an earlier time so im not staying up late to finish it

    ReplyDelete
  23. i get about 7-8 hours of sleep most nights, this is less than the recommended 8 1/2 to 9 1/4 hours. Consequences of not getting enough sleep include limited ability to learn and concentrate, agressive or inappropriate behavior, more prone to pimples, more prone to illness, and eating unhealthy foods. To get more sleep, some strategies i could use are limiting caffeine consumption, taking naps, making my room cool, dark and quiet, keeping a consistent bed time and wake time, and not being physically active before bedtime.
    Dylan Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  24. I usually get 9-10 hours of sleep.
    I think this is enough sleep because it is a bit more that the recommended.
    Consequences may be forgetting important things.
    Solutions can be taking small naps during the day.

    Lee Wei

    ReplyDelete
  25. i get about 8 hours of sleep, although i need more. Some consequences are falling asleep during class and not having the energy to work out properly. I should get to sleep earlier at night and not stay up to watch tv

    Jordan Weisberger

    ReplyDelete
  26. i get about 7 hours of sleep each night and that is slightly less than what i need. not enough sleep causes pimple and stress. i could get more sleep if i were to not watch tv as much

    Marius toderas

    ReplyDelete
  27. I get about 7 hours of sleep on weekdays and about 11 on weekends, so i should get atleast another 2 hours on weekdays.

    My ability to listen and learn will drop, i am prone to pimples, and i can become aggresive

    Make my room a comfortable environment to sleep and take naps. Dont drink caffeine before bed

    -matthew sagar

    ReplyDelete
  28. i get about 8 hours of sleep on the weekdays but if i dont get too much it affects my ability in school and i get cranky.

    To try and help fall asleep i dont want to drink caffeine before bed because it will keep me up. Having good night's sleep can help me have clear skin and no pimples.


    Titas Bera

    ReplyDelete
  29. I normally get 8 hours of sleep on weekdays. Depending if I have something to do on a Saturday morning, I get 7-10 hours of sleep. Church on Sunday morning allows me 9 hours of sleep.

    Lately, I have been getting pimples, and for the first time have felt a need to sleep during class.

    I will make sure that no lights are on in my house so that I can guarantee it is dark enough to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I get about 7 hours of sleep on weekdays.

    Some consequences are that I am more tired, I cant focus as well, and I dont perform as well in sports.

    Take a shower every night before bed, avoid electronics like my phone and computer and TV, and read before i go to sleep.

    -Sam Eichberg

    ReplyDelete
  31. On Average i will get around 7 hours of sleep.

    Some consequences of this is that i cannot focus and school, therefore my grades are not as strong.

    I will make sure to avoid using my phone and computer before bed, that way my mind will be less clogged and i can focus on sleep more.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I normally get 8 hours of sleep on weekdays. Depending if I have something to do on a Saturday morning, I get 7-10 hours of sleep. Church on Sunday morning allows me 9 hours of sleep.

    Lately, I have been getting pimples, and for the first time have felt a need to sleep during class.

    I will make sure that no lights are on in my house so that I can guarantee it is dark enough to sleep.
    i forgot my name on my first post

    Kyle Foster

    ReplyDelete
  33. on average i get sleep about 9 hours of sleep

    if people not sleep very well they become sleepy, tired, and get stress

    --AMY JUNG

    ReplyDelete