Monday, May 2, 2011

Period 5 Stress

How You Can Deal With High School Stress
High school can be a pretty tough time for many students: classes become harder, you have more responsibility, you feel the need to fit in with your peers, and perhaps you even have to work. This article provides several tips on managing your stress level.
The following are six tips, adapted from about.com, that can help reduce your stress:
- Have a healthy escape from school
- Lighten up and laugh a little
- Give yourself a little reward for doing well
- Keep things in perspective
- Be positive

- Stay away from drugs and alcohol

A healthy escape from school means breaking your daily routine a little. Give yourself a little bit of 'me' time each day. A good idea is to use this 'me' time to do something physical: physical activity reduces stress. For example, take a walk or hike, play with your dog outside, shoot some hoops, jump rope, etc. However, don't just be creative with your physical activity, be creative about hobbies you may want to pursue. If you like the sound of a saxophone, you could try taking lessons. Even underwater basket weaving has its place if it helps you relax and have fun.

Even when you do your day-to-day activities, don't take things too seriously-laugh a little. Laughter can get rid of stress as well as exercise can, and it's another healthy escape. There are things you can do to promote a light-hearted nature: spice up movie night with a comedy, buy some funny books/magazines, and most importantly, be able to laugh at yourself even when things don't go your way.

You should reward yourself for doing well in school, on a sports team, or for doing all your chores and homework and other commitments without any complaints. This doesn't mean you should go buy yourself a new computer. Nor does it mean you should reward yourself for every little thing like just getting up in the morning. What this means is when you know you have performed well on a given task, don't be afraid to give yourself a pat on the back.

An important skill to have throughout your life is to keep things in perspective. A proper perspective actually reduces stress. For any situation that is stressful, take a second to look at it from a different point of view. Try to visualize how unimportant this stressful moment is in the whole scheme of life. This exercise is designed to help you 'let go' of the little stress triggers that everyone experiences.

Often associated with proper perspective is positive thinking. The next time a stressful situation happens, instead of focusing on how it can ruin your life, focus on the benefits of overcoming this little hurdle. If a big test is coming up, don't look at it with the attitude, 'If I fail, I'll do bad in the class.' Instead, look at it with the attitude, 'When I pass this test, I'll be closer to my class goal of an 'A'!'

You've heard before and you'll hear it again-stay away from drugs and alcohol! Imagine this situation: You have a really nice car, I mean, REALLY nice. The color, make, model, everything you want in a car. The car needs work done on it, so you take it to the mechanic. He spends a lot of time on it and you spend a lot of money on it. Finally you get it back. What's the first thing you do with it? You take out your dad's sledgehammer and beat the bearings out of it? Why would you do that? The same is true with your body and drugs and alcohol. You are given a truly remarkable body. You spend time improving it inside and out. So, why would you destroy all the work and money you've spent on your body? Good answer-you shouldn't.

What do you do to handle stress? For this weeks blog, let me know what you have used in the past to help you relieve stress. If you do not have any current strategies which ones listed above do you think would work for you?

31 comments:

  1. In order to relieve stress I do different things. If im really stressed ill go outside and throw a lacrosse ball to get my mind off of it
    -David Siegel

    ReplyDelete
  2. To relieve stress i might go run to calm me down
    -Sebastian Gross

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the past, in order to relieve stress, I have gotten sleep. According to Seyle's General Adaption Syndrome (GAS), which describes how humans deal with stress, the exhaustion phase, the time when your sympathetic nervous system kicks in and your body becomes more vulnerable to disease, is the worst part. The rest of the time your sympathetic nervous system allows you to function at high levels. By getting sleep, I am able to avoid illness by allowing my body time to recover from the stress.

    -Alec Jasen

    ReplyDelete
  4. To relieve stress, I just go to my track & field practice. Running helps me take my mind of things and relieves my stress. Mostly I use sports to relive stress, such as having a friendly game of Ultimate Frisbee with my friends or going to a spaghetti dinner before a big meet.

    -Handson Wu

    ReplyDelete
  5. To relieve stress I would go out on a run, or sit down and listen to music to calm me down.
    -Victor Shen

    ReplyDelete
  6. To get rid of my stess i play soccer outside by myself or go to the gym
    -Aurash Amirmokri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I relieve stress by playing bass guitar or practicing socccer skills

    Sean Avjian

    ReplyDelete
  8. To relieve stress, I sleep for an hour or two. i also like to sit outside and throw a ball with someone or eat something.

    Raghav Muralidharan

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I'm stressed I like to do something that I can take my anger out on, like working out or playing sports. Anything i can put physical effort into is a good way for me to get rid of stress.
    -Josh Hollman

    ReplyDelete
  10. To relieve stress, i usually take a nap because that calms me down and leaves me feeling refreshed after that.

    -Michael Dinh Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to gravitate towards either playing guitar or listening to music when I am stressed because I am a big music person. But, if I have baseball practice or a game, baseball helps me relieve stress as well. And I can always count on taking an one or two hour nap to relieve stress when there is no way for me to do something musical or related to baseball.

    -Robbie Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  12. To relieve stress i will bounce a tennis ball off of my house or i will run while listening to music.
    -Eric Shumacher

    ReplyDelete
  13. To relieve stress, I run around the neighborhood.

    -Daniel Park

    ReplyDelete
  14. I relieve stress by listening to music and playing basketball. They are both a big part of my life and they just put me at ease.

    Kyle Weissenburger

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I get stressed I like to go outside and play basketball with my friends
    -Justin Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I'm stressed out I run or meditate, I also sleep sometimes.

    Samuel Figuera

    ReplyDelete
  17. to relieve stress i go for running or swimming to calm me down. i think that exercise is a good way to relieve the stress.

    George Giannos

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I get stressed out, i like to go play lacrosse or listen to music so i don't think about my problem as much.
    -Jake Dunlop

    ReplyDelete
  19. To relieve stress i go outside and run. Sometimes i just take a nap to calm down.
    -Raymond Shen

    ReplyDelete
  20. To relive stress i like to go to the bathroom and take a dump, it really relaxes my muscles. I also go to my room and read the quran, which is a good daily suppliment for removing stress because reading anything triggers the right side of your brain, which then triggers a complex series of reactions throughout the body, reducing the amount of stress one would have from school or other things. Another great thing to relieve stress is to do yoga or dance, any type or form of physical activity really helps distract, divert the mind, off of other things like stress. Other things one could do are things like talking to friends, playing basketball, running, working out, eating, sleeping, stretching, lying down, talking, anything that can disttract the mind will relive stress.
    -Kasim Malik

    ReplyDelete
  21. If I wanted to relieve my stress about school, I would usually play a sport with my friends or going somewhere(cafe, library, etc.) It relieves my stress in a much healthier way
    -John Arango

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I'm stressed I usually take a nap, or sit on the couch and watch TV.

    Simon Dai

    ReplyDelete
  23. To relieve stress, I might either listen to music or play some sports.
    -Aria Fallah

    ReplyDelete
  24. To relieve stress i will go to a friends house and play a few games of chess or go to cvs or 711 to get something to eat
    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  25. To relieve stress, I listen to music, chat with my friends, or go play some sports with my friends.
    David Yu

    ReplyDelete
  26. To relieve stress i listen to music and i can go to anytime fitness with friends.
    David Bednov

    ReplyDelete
  27. In order to relieve stress I listen to music, or go outside and jog.
    -Alan Banks

    ReplyDelete
  28. to relieve stress i listen to music,take a bike ride, shoot some hoops, or talk to friends
    -Ezra Sokobin

    ReplyDelete
  29. to relieve stress i like to clear my mind by listening to music or get on my bike or go out for a run
    ~Noah Spielman

    ReplyDelete
  30. to relieve stress i listen to music or play sports like basketball with other people

    Rex Horton

    ReplyDelete
  31. To relieve stress I like to go and meet up with my friends. When im with my friends i forget about the stresses in my life and end up enjoying myself/ having a good time.


    - Lawrence Byun

    ReplyDelete