Monday, May 3, 2010

Period 8 Blog 4.4 Macronutrients

There are three Macronutrients that your body needs to get from food for energy and for survival. They are carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Everything that you eat falls into one of these three categories. Your body needs all three. In order to optimize energy levels and health it is important to get all three in each meal that you eat.

Common sources of carbohydrates - starchy foods (like grain, bread, cereals and potatoes), fruits, milk, and yogurt. Other foods like vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds and cottage cheese contain carbohydrates, but in lesser amounts.

Common Sources of proteins meats, poultry, fish, meat substitutes, cheese, milk, nuts, legumes, and in smaller quantities in starchy foods and vegetables.

Common Sources of fat meat, poultry, nuts, milk products, butters and margarines, oils, lard, olive oil, avocados, nuts, and coconut oil.


After looking over your nutritional habits from the last blog, it obvious that many of us are well fueled with carbohydrates. Some of us are getting a little bit of protein and very few of us eat much fat at all. For this week blog I want you to look back at your three meal from last blog. Look at the meals you ate and see if there is a carbohydrate source, a fat source, and a protein source for each meal. Let me know if you are deficient and where.

23 comments:

  1. I believe that i am deficient in sources of fat. I will try to eat more meats, and milk products.
    -Chen Han

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr kirk, i didnt do last weeks blog so imposibble for me to do this weeks blog. but i do eat a lot of junk food and the only heathy food i do eat is seafood and , thats it.
    ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I surprisingly eat all of the macronutrients in atleast two of every meal during the day. Hispanics eat everything above.

    Juan-Felipe Pataquiva

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as I can guess, I am only missing a fat in my breakfast. Otherwise, I think I'm getting a good balance at each meal.

    -Ben Gburg

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my meals, i have carbs fat and and protein in my dinner only carbs in my breakfast and carbs and protein in my lunch. I feel that is pretty good overall

    Zach Grinspoon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that i'm missing fat in my breakfast because i had protein and carbohydrates but no fat.
    Sophie Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  7. -Zach Reiswig
    I am deficient in Fats for my breakfast, and lunch

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am defecient in sources of carbs and protein. Mostly carbs because of all the snacks i eat.

    Brett Keenan

    ReplyDelete
  9. uhm i think i have a really balanced meal
    emily boring(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. i only ate carbs. for breakfast and lunch.
    for dinner i included a protein and carb.
    needless to say i need to include all 3 much better.
    rachel teicher

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have a very balanced meal

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like I'm missing all three macro nutrients in my first two meals of the day, but I get all three in my third meal of the day. I'll eat more bread and meats for breakfast and lunch.

    Eric Xu

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am defecient in sources of fat in my lunch and carbs in my breakfast.

    Mait Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I eat most of the macronutrients in most of my meals.

    Harris Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I get plenty of Carbs from breads, Protein from Meats, but I am a little lagging in Fats, so maybe I can add more milk.

    Danyal Ahmad

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do good on everything expect for carbs. I will try to eat more fruits milk and yogurt

    Gary Liu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carbs: I mac on fruits and vegetables
    Protein: tuna, chicken, turkey and eggs
    fats: olive oil, avocados and fried plantains and potatoes (I use vegetable oil)
    No deficiencies.

    -Dimitri

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a source of protein from ham, carbs in cereal, and fats in pizza
    Matt K

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a good amount of carbohydrates, and some good amount of protein, but Fat is my defecient, and I need to add some more.

    Mason Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  20. My carbs come from breads, crackers, and cereal. i get my protein from meats and fish, and protein supplements. some foods i eat are cooked with oil, and i eat lots of nuts, this is were i get my fats. However i do beleive i need to eat more fats as i lack fat in my body.
    Warren Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  21. i eat like literally everything maybe to much junk food tho sometimes lol

    HALLIE ROLFES=]

    ReplyDelete
  22. i eat alot but dont gain any weight because i skateboard

    ReplyDelete
  23. i get carbs from my nutrigrain bars because they have grain and fruit in them. i get protein because i eat alottt of meat and i love spinach. i get fats from milk meat and almonds.

    love ellie gesiskie:)

    ReplyDelete