Monday, February 1, 2010

Period 6 Blog 3.2 Importance of Physical Education



Below is a list of 7 reasons why physical education is important, from an education blog called "Romow." Read over the list and for your blog question this week I want you to tell me two things. 1. Why is physical education important to you personally? and 2. What do you plan to get out of this class? I am not talking grades, but what do you want to know, or be able to do as a direct result of taking this class. Think about these 7 reasons and your fitness test scores and let me know if you have any goals related to them.

7 Reasons why P.E. is Important:

1. It’s a link to good health.

The value of physical fitness can never be overstated. It’s only in physical educational classrooms that students learn the value of taking care of themselves thru proper grooming, healthy eating and regular exercise.

2. It’s a preventive measure against disease.

Many doctors today agree that obesity is a serious health risk. Without any form of diet management and control with the numerous processed food students intake everyday compounded by a sedentary lifestyle, a student’s health can easily be at risk to many diseases like chronic heart disease, hypertension and diabetes. Physical education in school is a preventive measure to teach students the value of regular exercise.

3. It’s a program for muscle strength and fitness.

Physical education develops the students’ motor skills and hand-eye coordination. It also develops the upper body muscles through activities like doing push ups as well the lower body muscles through stationary jumping jacks, 3min running and jumping exercises. Programs usually have core training exercises also like doing abdominal crunches.

4. It promotes academic learning.

Physical health allows students to function even better in classrooms. A good cardiovascular system developed from regular exercise promotes excellent blood and oxygen circulation. This means more nutrients circulate through out the body which includes the brain. This circulation produces longer attention span during classes allowing longer concentration and absorption.

5. It builds self esteem.

Students who are active in physical activities like basketball, volleyball, martial arts and running just to name a few are more confident with themselves according to most social school studies. It’s probably because of the self discipline and dedication to excel in a sport that brings out the best in students. In school, the physical education program introduces these sport activities to students allowing them to make choices to which sport areas they want to get involved in.

6. It develops cooperation, teamwork and sportsmanship skill.

Most physical education programs are holistic. The program allows student to interact together to a common goal and that is to win and excel physically. It brings out the competitive sides of students working both body and mind but also promotes sportsmanship.

7. It promotes a physically active lifestyle.

The purpose of physical education is to instill in students, at an early age, the value of self preservation and choosing a lifestyle that is good for both the mind and body.

30 comments:

  1. Rebecca Edelman

    1. Physical Education is important to me because I want to stay fit and healthy.

    2. I would like to learn new ways of staying fit and I would like to get better at soccer by strengthening my legs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. It's important to me because I want to be healthy and fit.
    2. I hope to get better at fitness activities I didn't really do before and stay active.

    Chen Goldstein

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phsically fitness is important to me because lately i havent been as fit. I havent been working out and going to the gym as much as i used to.

    I plan to learn more sports out of this class.

    -Michael Chang

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. It is important to me because it is a welcome break in my day and is relaxing, fun, and healthy.
    2. I plan to become more confident with a variety of team games and to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PE is important to me personally because it can help me get in better shape. I plan to figure out what type of exercise is best for me.

    Alexa Awrich

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.E. is important to me personally because it is a great link to health, and the active learning environment of the class helps me stay in shape. In this class, I plan to improve my fitness test scores by a decent amount so I can show steady progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Physical Education is important to me because it helps me feel fit and motivates me to try some of the new activities we try in class. It is a nice break between my classes to do something good for my body
    2.In this class i hope to learn about a variety of sports i have never played before and i hope to be more open to some games.
    Amelia Gerste

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.E. is important to me personally, because it helps me stay fit and can help me have the knowledge to know how to stay healthy for the rest of my life.

    I plan to use this class as a rest from all the learning from my other periods, and to stay physically fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. Why is physical education important to you personally?
    It is important so I can stay healthy.

    2. What do you plan to get out of this class
    i plan to be more fit by the end of the semester.

    -Janet Dong

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goureesh-
    1. phys ed is important to me because it is a good way to have some sort of physical activity throughout the day if i don't have any later on in the day.
    2. i plan to improve my fitness test scores so i can see my progress and set new goals for the future as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Why is physical education important to you personally?
    PE Credit, Also improves my ability to learn in classes later.

    2. What do you plan to get out of this class?
    I want to be able to improve my physical state.

    Andy Pham

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. P.E. is important to me because it keeps me in shape
    2. I hope that i will be able to get better in more sports and understand how to play them
    -Jordan Weissberg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Josh Lee-1) fitness is important because helps me stay in shape. i want to continue to progressively get better in myphysical health

    ReplyDelete
  14. P.E. is important to me because it gets my blood flowing and keeps me awake. It also gives me my daily exercise, which is what i need.

    Nick Soileau

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. PE is important because it helps me stay in shape
    2. I hope that I will improve in some sports that i am not good at

    -John Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Christina Hwang
    1. Physical education is important because it teaches you physical activities that you can do to be more healthy.
    2. I want to learn different activities and become more fit by doing them by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.E. is important because it builds muscle and self esteem.
    I want to become stronger.
    - Joe Stapleton

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. P.E. is important to me because it keeps me fit

    2. I want to increase my athletic ability as I get older

    -Alex Walsh

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1.PE is important because some kids do not get the right phsyical fittness they need so PE teachs them.
    2.I hope to become morre fit and better at all sports.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. PE is important because it helps us stay fit
    2. I want to stay in shape and get more endurance

    Jessica Wung

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1.PE is important in order to stay fit.
    2.I want to improve in more sports.

    Bailey Liu

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) PE is important because it helps kids learn the importance of exercising
    2) I want to be able to run the mile faster

    -jenna ross

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1.) P.E. is important because you need some short of excerise throughout the dya.
    2.)i hope to improve fitness grades

    kenzie gilbertt

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1.) Physical education is important to me personally because in order to stay healthy and stay active i should exercise just to feel good and happy.

    2.) I plan on learning good work out habits.

    -Cari Baxtrom

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.E is important to me because i want to stay active and healthy , and not become fat.

    i hope to improve at sports i havnt played, by the end of the year
    -Vaughn M

    ReplyDelete
  26. 1. Physical Education is important to me because I want to stay healthy and fit.

    2. I would like to learn different ways to stay fit.

    -John Duncan

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1.Gym/PE is important so i can stay fit and healthy

    2.i would like to improve my skills at all sports and learn new ways to stay fit

    -Will Quackenbush

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1.Gym is important because i want to stay hit and workout

    2.I want to improve on my sport and my movements in games so i can be better

    -Ammaar Yousufi

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1) gym is a good time in the day for me to relieve stress, and just have fun before going back to class

    2) i would like to have all around better playing ability in many different sports

    jamie logan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Physical Education is important to me because I want to stay fit and healthy.

    I would like to get better at basketball

    Jonny Harvey

    ReplyDelete